- Reinforce wire connections with hot glue and/or zip ties.
- Add hook to fasten waist of crinoline.
- More programming designs.
- Get aurora borealis palette working properly on circles and panel, and shooting stars display on strips.
- Replace strip in bottom tube with side-emitting LEDs?
- 240 - circles (all used except one)
- 64 - 8x8 panel.
- 23 - strip 1.
- 23 - strip 2.
- 17 - strip 3.
- 84 (?) - strip along bottom tube.
Total: 451 LEDs.
2019-11-06 - 2019-11-11
- 8x8 cm WS2812 LED panel
- 5m, 30 LEDs/m, IP67, black LED pixel strip
- 241 LEDs, rings of varying sizes from 3 to 17 cm
- [x2] 2-hoop crinolines to attach LEDs to
- 88 cm black skirt
2019-11-12 - 2019-11-24
- Played with layout of LEDs, waiting for items to arrive.
- Tested out LEDs under layers and on crinoline.
- Took apart seams of inner layers of black skirt to add extra panels to fit over crinoline.
- Measured skirt on top of crinoline. Extra panel with bottom arc length of 100+cm.
- Decided to go with 6 strips of 23 LEDs each. Cut one strip.
2019-12-03 - 2019-12-05
- Tested out LED rings. One wire was detached so had to be soldered on.
- Punched holes in crinoline, used zip ties to attach first LED strip.
- Took apart LED circles and tested FastLED programs.
- Set up LED circles, one strip, and panel together on crinoline and used zip ties to place everything but the panel on crinoline.
- Ran FastLED programs on everything together.
- Pictures posted by others to Facebook, RevSpace kiekjes, Twitter.
- Rearranged LED circles, mounted some back on with velcro. Mounted panel with velcro.
- Cut two more strips. Attached wires to one and mounted it horizontally at an angle.
- Folded up bottom hem and put velcro strips all across to partially make a tube along bottom.
- Bought LED connectors (20 pairs, 3-pin).
- Measured and cut panel for black layer of skirt.
- Used fabric glue along bottom hem tube, in between velcro strips.
- Soldered wires to more LED strips.
- Soldered wires to remaining LED strips.
- Connected everything together, hooked up to an Arduino.
- Added more velcro bits to fix placement of LEDs.
- Experimented with modifying FastLED programs. BPM on circles?
2020-01-18 - 2020-02-13
- Experimented more with FastLED programs.
- For custom color palettes, used PaletteKnife bookmarklet to generate codes for palettes. Add to sketch directly, or add to Arduino/libraries/FastLED/colorpalettes.cpp and palette name to colorpalettes.h.
- Cut up plastic bag for panel over skirt, attached with velcro.
- Finished up everything on black outer skirt.
- Bought 2x SilverCrest power banks.
- Debut as Princess of Lights went excellent, with paparazzi taking pictures and video all weekend.
- However, about a dozen wires broke off throughout the weekend and had to be soldered back on, some with reinforcements of zip ties to hold them in place.
- LEDs kept weighing down crinoline, and since the string in the waist came out a long time ago, the velcro was not enough to hold it up. Used an opened paperclip to hold it together, and then a safety pin. Need to add a hook fastener, or use a large safety pin (through grommeted holes) or some other kind of fastener.