As most air hockey players have probably noticed by now, there are some issues with the current air hockey score board set-up. Namely:
- Goal detection is unreliable
- The score board occasionally hangs
- Some other minor annoyances
And, most importantly, we didn't build it ourselves!
So it's about time we solve all of this by building our own version.
I (smeding) have started some design & building work, but feel free to contribute in any way you can, of course.
<img src="/old/scoreboard.png" alt="the schematic" width='1024 />
[/old/scoreboard.sch|gschem schematic file]
The current design is based around:
- An AVR microcontroller
- Four VacuumFluorescentDisplays, driven by shift registers and open-collector drivers
- A buzzer for audio feedback
- Two switches for control
- Two phototransistors for goal detection
- The AVR in the schematic is an ATMega328P but a smaller one may also be sufficient
- I have never worked with optical sensors before so the current design may be a bit too simplistic in that regard. Comments are appreciated.