Skip annoying music with the skip button.
Indeed, it is very ugly.
- press and hold (2 seconds)
- press and shake (2 seconds)
- replace playlist with random shuffle play
Inspired by Bitlair's skip button project, but with major differences:
- 2,4 GHz instead of 433 MHz, because nRF24L01+ modules are so easy to use :-)
- Capacitor instead of transistor logic to keep the arduino running long enough.
- For now, just a button for skipping, no volume control.
- Optiboot boot loader instead of a custom one.
- Uglier case, uglier button.
See also the README files in the Git repositories.
Suggested changes for those who feel like hacking on this:
- Bare atmega instead of complete arduino
- Better case
- Better button
- More buttons
- Volume control
- Skip 2.0
Since the biodegradable case has started crumbling around the button, I (Semafoor) ordered a new button that should enable some additional functionality (volume, previous song) and made a plan for a steel case with some workaround to keep functionality of the nRF module. More info when the button arrives
- (30-7) the button has arrived(>^_^<).
The basic idea is to construct a pyramid with the joystick sticking out of the bottom. The triangular sides will be what Skip2 wits on. As all four triangular sides will be identical, Skip2 will not have an obvious top or bottom. By using the accelerometer to detect the graviational field of the earth, Skip2 will be able to tell which way is up and down, and can thus interpret the joystick movements. These should be as follows
Because of the accelerometer, this list is always true, regardless of which side is actually facing down. Although skip2 won't likely be easy to hold in one hand, the shake=shuffle function will be preserved.
A laser cut MDF mockup is made to get a feel for the right dimensions and to check whether enough space is available for all the parts. These dimensions (10 by 12 cm triangles) are probably a bit tight. If all the parts will work on a reduces voltage (3-3.6 V) this size may suffice, otherwise the pyramid may need to be a little longer in the final version.