|Making an inexpensive MSI2500 software-defined-radio work on Linux|
This page is about an inexpensive SDR with MSI2500/MS101 chip, basically a chinese clone of the SDRPlay RSP1. It is in some places also referred to as BG7YZF.
Aliexpress link: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005003654127606.html
On this page, I'm documenting how to get it to work effectively under Linux.
This device has the following properties:
- 5 separate SMA inputs for 5 different frequency bands
- USB-C interface to computer (USB high speed?)
- Samples radio at up to 8 MHz (?) and 12-bits
- Has a stable and accurate oscillator (TCXO), compared to (for example) the rtl-sdr
Analysis of the board: https://github.com/EndlessEden/msiSDR/tree/RSP1-S
This thing seems to be semi-supported by Linux:
- there are msi2500 and msi101 kernel drivers, generally it seems you should not use them
- supported by "soapysdr"
- supported by "gr-osmo"
- supported by "libmiri"
The thing that worked best for me, is the libmiri package by f4exb, together with SDR software sdrangel (also by f4exb)
Linux kernel driver
It appears that SDR is not usable with the default Linux kernel driver.
To uninstall it (and avoid automatically loading it), do the following:
- remove the modules manually
sudo modprobe -r msi2500 msi001
- create a file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-msi.conf
- contents should be
blacklist msi001 blacklist msi2500
libmiri + sdrangel
For me (bertrik), using Debian (bookworm/sid) the following gives a usable SDR setup to play with:
Build and install libmiri by f4exb:
git clone https://github.com/f4exb/libmirisdr-4 cd libmirisdr-4 mkdir build && cd build cmake .. nice make -j3 sudo make install
Build sdrangel by f4exb:
- install at least the following QT5 development packages (sudo apt install ...)
qtbase5-dev qtbase5-private-dev qtlocation5-dev qtmultimedia5-dev qtpositioning5-dev qtwebengine5-dev libqt5charts5-dev libqt5serialport5-dev libqt5texttospeech5-dev libqt5websockets5-dev
- other libraries
- get the source and build it
git clone https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel.git cd sdrangel mkdir build && cd build cmake .. nice make -j3
To be investigated: