|Project Secure iButton|
This project is about investigating and using the secure features of the iButton that people currently use for physical access to RevSpace.
Planned project phases are:
- phase 1: investigate possbilities of the iButton and experiment with it
- phase 2: write software for the iButton functionality and package it into a library
- phase 3: apply knowledge and software for application within RevSpace
The iButton used at RevSpace is the !DS1961, with the following features
- 4 pages of 32-byte user data each
- an 8-byte "secret"
- SHA-1 algorithm that can calculate a hash over a 32-byte user data page, the 8-byte secret, a 3-byte "challenge" and the unique iButton id.
Basically authentication could work like this:
- user presents iButton to the reader
- reader reads the unique iButton id
This library provides an API for the DS1961 specific functions. It will be targeted at the Arduino microcontroller, to run on top of the existing 1-wire library.
We could apply this to improve the security of RevSpace access.