Because smoked dead animals are at least as tasty as BBQed dead animals, we need to have a nice smoker. While the BigGreenEggBBQ can act as a smoker as well, it has a fairly limited capacity. Furhtermore, it can not be electrically operated, which makes temperature control more tricky.
So enter RevSmoker.
The idea is to use a steel drum to build something like this but over 9000 times cooler, with electronics and blinkenlights.
The idea is that there is a electric hot plate/heater in the bottom of the drum, that heats a steel box full of wood chips, generating heat and smoke. A micro controller measures the temperature, and drives the hot plate in order to reach a set temperature, that can bet adjusted using a dial. The target and current temperature are displayed on a LCD display. There is a tray at the bottom of the barrel, allowing the heater/wood box to be can be easily removed for refilling, without removing the smolked items.
Design inspiration :
Mechanical and electrical parts
- steel drum that used to hold pineapple juice
- a wood chip box
- one or two grids to hold the dead animal parts being smoked
- a cover with a handle
- a electrical stove, for heating the wood chips
- extension cord
- a thermometer keeping track of the temp.
- an arduino to measure the temperature, display it on a small LCD screen and control the heater using a relay
- a 220V relay
- a TMP36 temp sensor
- a SED1531LCD display to show the current / target temp
- a turn knob to adjust the temp