The idea is to experiment a bit more with ESP now, in particular in combination with audio transfer.
Stuff to learn:
- ESP now broadcast mode: does it really work? https://github.com/espressif/ESP8266_NONOS_SDK/issues/8#issuecomment-419774432
- ESP now throughput
- ESP now packet loss when used continuously
- Audio over IP protocols, e.g. VBAN
- Possibility to transfer even ultrasonic audio?
Possible end result: A kind of zero-standby power intercom. When you press the button, an ESP8266 is powered up. It immediately starts transmitting audio from a digital I2S microphone over ESP now. The receiving end will probably be an ESP32, that receives the ESP now audio and converts into a standardized audio-over-ip protocol, e.g. VBAN.
Related interesting stuff:
- ESP now throughput https://hackaday.io/project/166868-my-attempt-at-an-esp-now-mesh/log/166398-072419-maximum-transmission-throughput-of-esp-now
- ESP audio playback https://github.com/earlephilhower/ESP8266Audio
- VBAN specification https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/VBANProtocol_Specifications.pdf