Revspace has a very nice BBQ/Steamer/Cooker. If was donated/borrowed to the space by FooBar.
Please read the instructions here before using the BGE, it works slightly different from a regular BBQ
Before you begin:
- Open the lid, shuffle around the remains of coal and ashes, so that all the burned ash falls through the holes in the bottom.
- Open the front air-inlet completely, use the ash-removed to shovel all the burned ashes from the ashtray, this is to make sure that air can circulate freely
Firing it up:
- Put a decent amount of coal (large chunks preferred, no briketten, just coal) in the BGE
- Put 3-4 'aanmaakblokjes' in the coal, light it.
- Close the lid, open the front air-intake and fully open the metal top (make sure it opens to the front)
- Wait about 20-30 minutes, the temperature should be above 150 degrees now
- Put the food on the tray, close the lid
- Close the front-intake to about 50%
- Close the top, but make sure that the steam/smoke can exit.
- Adjust the front air-intake and top air-exit to regulate the temperature
- When opening the lid, open it first to about 3-4 cm, let some smoke clear out, then open it fully (so not to burn yourself on the smoke-release)
- When you are finished, close the top and front air-intakes
- After 30-60 minutes the fire will be completely extinguished
- After about 2-3 hours the BGE should be cool to the touch
- Place the cover back over the BGE, so it's shielded from rain